Saturday, October 27, 2007

Soul Calibur: Lego Version

Ever played Soul Calibur? If you have access to a Dreamcast, I heartily recommend you try it out. In case you have no idea what the game is, I'll give you the basics. Soul Calibur is a fighting game that takes place in a medieval fantasy realm. The graphics are unbelievably good for the Dreamcast... the character models would look impressive on the PS2. Each character has his/her own weapon, from giant axes to speedy nuchucks. The one-on-one combat is really fantastic, and the characters are very cool. And that leads up to the topic of this post... our Soul Calibur Brikwars characters! Yes, we took on the challenge to make Lego versions of a handful of Soul Calibur's cast for our Brikwars game, and they actually came out pretty cool. I'll also have pictures of the original characters as they appear in the game alongside their blocky counterparts, so let me know how we did.

Cervantes




Cervantes is a dread pirate with dual swords, one of which can change into a pistol when need be (those of you familiar with SSBB's Zero Suit Samus should know what I mean). And here is the Lego version...





A striking resemblance, wouldn't you say? The real Cervantes has a kind of... cloth... thing... I don't know what you'd call it, but it's kind of like a cape attached to his waist. For Cervantes, I went the extra mile and tac-n-sticked a custom-cut piece of green felt to add to the realism. Why did I bother? Because it was fun, that's why. Oh shoot, I just realized I forgot to give Lego Cervantes gloves. Oh well.


Xianghua




Xianghua uses a rapier-like weapons and uses a fencing-type style, which is as graceful as her name is intimidating to pronounce. And here is the Lego version...







I personally don't think she turned out as good as Cervantes did, but I'm happy with the end result overall. It would've been nice to have really long Lego gloves, but that's getting picky.


Yoshimitsu







Yoshimitsu is a kind of Samurai robot, with a variety of crazy moves, and occasionally uses his sword as (I am not making this up) a pogostick. He is probably THE most unique character in the game. How did we make a Lego version of him? Here's how...







Not bad all things considered, wouldn't you say? That flag was the finishing touch.


Mitsurugi







Not to be confused with Yoshimitsu, Mitsurugi is an actual Samuai-type guy, and not a robot. Sorry about the mediocre picture, but I couldn't find a better one. (That's Mitsurugi there on the left.) And as the Lego Mitsurugi...








There you go. I wish I could've given you a better picture of the real Mitsurugi's face so you could compare the two, but oh well.




Seung Mina







Seung Mina uses a bladed staff in battle, which look really cool in motion. Also, she has long hair braided back that you can't see in the picture, just to let you know. As for her Lego doppelganger...





Sure, the stack is a bit long, and she could've used gloves, but she still came out good, I think. Felt once again comes in handy as well.




Kilik








Kilik uses to same style as Seung Mina, and he is arguable even cooler. He's my personal favorite character from the game. And here's Lego Kilik...




More felt is used, and I had to cut an existing Lego piece to make the staff, so he was more work than most. Please appreciate that fact that I matched the red and grey parts of the legs... separating and attaching the connecting piece can be literally painful.


Siegfried









Seigfried is essentially the main character of the series, and I don't know how he swings such a huge sword. Although he is a very cool character, Nightmare, his future self, is even cooler. And here's Lego Siegfried...



I should've drawn Seigfried's scar on his face... ah well.

Well then... that's all! Characters we didn't end up making include Lizardman the sword-and-shielded... lizardman, Taki the ninja, Astaroth the giant monster axe-user, Sophitia the... I actually don't exactly know who Sophitia is much, but she uses a sword and shield like Lizardman, Maxi the Elvis-lookalike nunchuck-wielder, Voldo the strange, strange guardian of the Money Pit (not the Monkey Pit, mind you, though that would be cool), Ivy the scary sword/whip-combo-user, and a couple super special unlockable characters that I won't spoil here. Oh dang it... I forgot to include Hwang in the pictures! Oh well, just look forward to the next update!

No comments: